Commentary submission guidelines
South Dakota Searchlight considers commentary submissions for publication. Preference goes to timely topics of interest to South Dakota. We reserve the right to reject any submission, and to edit accepted submissions for clarity and style.
- Maximum length is 750 words.
- Name, full address and phone number are required (address and phone number are for confirmation, not for publication).
- South Dakota Searchlight does not publish anonymous commentaries.
- Commentaries must be signed by at least one individual. South Dakota Searchlight does not accept pieces signed by an organization.
- Name-calling and personal attacks are not acceptable.
- Submissions must be sent by email to [email protected] with “commentary” in the subject line.
- Facts or assertions that some readers might be expected to dispute should be accompanied by a source citation, such as by a link or by stating the source in plain language as part of the text.
- Provide a brief (two or three sentences) biographical description of the author, including the author’s city of residence and any title/experience/expertise related to the topic.
- Include a clear, high-resolution headshot of the author for publication.
- South Dakota Searchlight does not publish candidate endorsements. Nor do we endorse ballot measures. Commentaries are not accepted from anyone who currently holds or is campaigning for public office.
Questions may be addressed to Editor Seth Tupper at [email protected].