Portions of interstates reopening
(Image courtesy of SD Department of Transportation)
Sections of Interstate 90 and Interstate 29 will reopen today, provided conditions improve as forecasts indicate throughout the day, according to the state Department of Transportation.
- I-90 (westbound only) from Wall to Rapid City has been reopened.
- The remaining section of I-90 between Wall and the Minnesota state line has significant drifting, and cleanup is ongoing. Progress will be monitored. This section will be reopened as soon as conditions safely allow. DOT anticipates additional sections of I-90 to begin reopening late morning through late afternoon, as conditions improve and visibility and drifting snow no longer present safety concerns.
- I-29 (northbound and southbound) from Sioux Falls to Watertown has been reopened.
- The remaining section of I-29, between Watertown and the North Dakota state line, has significant drifting and visibility issues. Progress will be monitored. This section will be reopened as soon as conditions safely allow. DOT anticipates the remaining section of I-29 to reopen late afternoon as conditions improve and visibility and drifting no longer present safety concerns.
Due to the extremely cold temperatures and windy conditions, applying chemical and salt are not effective treatment options for roads, DOT said.
- Travelers should expect to encounter ice-covered roads and snow covered shoulders.
- Snow removal equipment will be working to remove ice in the driving lanes and snow remaining on shoulders.
- Please use extra caution and reduce travel speed.
No-travel advisories continue to impact state highways across South Dakota, with many highways physically impassable from blockages of large snow drifts, stranded vehicles and completely plugged bridges.
For the latest on road and weather conditions, visit https://sd511.org or dial 511. Sign up for customized notifications on https://sd511.org for this free service, which allows you to receive text messages and/or email notifications about road closure updates and travel advisories along routes of your choice.
To access all the latest information, please click on the “December 2022 Storm Information” graphic on the homepage of the DOT website at https://dot.sd.gov/.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.